Sunday 22 October 2017

Whats in a name?

I often get asked about my name (Dearn) and its origins. My reply would always be that its Irish, that it was my Great-grandmothers’ surname. They lived in Coleraine in the North tip of Ireland near the coast, a place famous for The Giants Causeway. They were farmers who were prompted to move to England (Sheffield) during the Great Famine of 1845. A lot of my family history is a bit sketchy as I never knew my Grandparents as they were long gone before I was born and have no family left to ask but I do know that my Grandfather came to Scotland to work as an head-engineer for the coal mines in Scotland. After a little digging and research I have actually found my ancestry actually came from France and the name Dearn actually has French origins derives from the 7th century word "dierne" translating literally as "Hidden river" (there is an actual River called Dearne in Yorkshire), there are different variants of spelling as Durn or Durne and still recorded in France and a coat of arms was granted there. Interestingly there are links to the 16th-century France Huguenots who were French Protestants mainly from northern France, and were inspired by the writings of John Calvin and endorsed the Reformed tradition of Protestantism. Many Huguenots suffered cruel treatment because of their religion they were a persecuted minority in France during most of the period from the early 1500s until 1789. Many left France, many went across ocean to North America, some to South Africa and some to Ireland (as apparently my lot did) So there are many inhabitants of these lands who have Huguenot blood in their veins, whether or not they still bear one of the hundreds of French names of those who took refuge in their respective lands (like my Great Granny being a Dearn) I don’t know but being the original refugees they brought the word 'refugee' into the English language. Well I never knew my ancestors where once refugees fleeing persecution from France exiled by King Louis XIV, grandson of Henri IV. During the “great escape” from France men who were caught, if not executed, were sent as galley slaves to the French fleet in the Mediterranean. Women were imprisoned and their children sent to convents. Well there you go…..perhaps that’s why I detest religion so much after being brought up a Protestant, convert to Catholicism then “seeing the light” becoming an Atheist and considering myself a Secular Humanist.

No comments:

Post a Comment