Friday 29 September 2017

Turn Right at Machu Picchu

Within this great book the author, Mark Adams, retraces the steps that led Yale Professor, Hiram Bingham, to discover Machu Picchu one hundred years ago, on July 24, 1911. The chapters more or less alternate between Bingham’s and Adams’ expeditions. The author packs a lot of information into the book. He includes anecdotes, observations and sometimes he tosses in hilarious wee humorous tidbits. He also includes information on the flora and fauna as well as Inca history of the area. He also describes what it is like today I am fascinated with Machu Picchu and have such a desire to hike to this famous lost city of the Inca's. Its top of my current (and very comprehensive) bucket list and one which I intent to tick off soon within the next 18 months. There are various trails including buses and trains but I really want to do the rough 10 days cross country trek, for this once in a lifetime trip I really want to experience the country and this book gives such a taste of Peru. I want to get off the beaten trail, my idea of hell is a package holiday, sitting by the pool, or eating the food you find back home….what is the point of this? What memories can such a holiday provide, it’s like when you step of the plane you leave your soul behind, no way…I want to meet real Peruvians, chew the coco leafs, travel the Inka Trail through the Sun Gate, get blisters and sleep like the dead each evening, hike up Montana Machu Picchu and feel like I have earned the right to be there, what’s the point otherwise? I want to do it when I am still young and fit enough to enjoy it with a passion, we all need to learn to live at times and these safe “package holidays” are a form of dying...for dead souls, I dont want to lay pissed at the pool, get off the route everyone takes and be that naïve Gringo, just always be respectful and people always seem to want to help….ooofff, I am writing too much about my feelings here when I sound talk about this great book, if you don’t already have a fire in your soul to see this great please then this book will ignite it for sure. Not only is this book a travelogue it’s also a smart and tightly written history and an investigative report into the greatest archaeological discovery of the last century. A fascinating story and wonderful account of Machu Picchu, excellently researched and very well written, a a page turner which you can’t put down, I was almost ready to pack my bags as soon as I reached the last page!! The book is just so charming, when I go I will surely have the book with me in my backpack and will read it under the stars there to milk every piece of magic and myth, such up the experience for everything it’s worth……total immersions!!!! One word of warning….don’t attempt to read this book if you are just going to vegetated on the sofa, this book is an inspiration to get out there and rough it, we are a long time dead!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment