Monday 13 November 2017

The Lessons Learnt from The Old Man and the Sea.

I am a huge fan of Ernest Hemmingway, at least as long as I can remember. I especially love his book “The Old Man and the Sea” based in Cuba,there is just something special about this book that compels it to be read then re-read again. There is a certain echo of Hemmingway in that book, manliness. As Hemmingway said once… “A man can be destroyed but not defeated.”, and this is so true and something I believe we must always reflect upon. (now although I use the term “man” in this post, but these lessons are not gender specific) Success is all too often assumed to be the indicator of the value of a man. But success, in and of itself, merely speaks to a particular status and may have nothing to do with the journey that the man took to get there, or whether or not he retained his integrity along the way. I, myself have been very blessed in life, I have a good secure career, I had the most wonderful childhood to reflect upon due to having the very best parents and brother during that time, I have my heart opened by having the most precious son who although I have not seen in years I am still so proud of and love him. I have travelled and ticked off many boxes already on my bucket list but what I am most proud of is that I have retained my integrity to get at this point where I am just now, I have nothing to prove to anyone and have proven all I need to myself. I have never stepped on anyone, lied to or used anyone and I have always respected and loved my family to the very end. These are the values that pay off, no matter what shit life kicks up at you, if you can live with yourself then you have the strength to overcome. There is something about old Santiago’s life in this book which I can relate to…In the book Santiago is an old, experienced fisherman who hasn’t brought in a catch for months. On the 85th day of this dry spell, he heads far out into the Gulf of Mexico where he hooks a giant marlin. Unable to pull the fish into his skiff, he holds onto the line for three days before killing it with a harpoon. After lashing the fish to his boat, Santiago heads home with his hard-won prize. But along the way, sharks reduce the fish to bones, and the old man returns to port as he left…empty-handed. The universal truths of a man’s existence within this world are the pride, respect, tenacity, and dreams which fuel a man in his quest to thrive in the face of struggle, these are universal truths we must always consider. There are so many lessons to take from this book, another for example is from the passage.. ““He was shivering with the morning cold. But he knew he would shiver himself warm and that soon he would be rowing.”…this is that a man bears pain and hardship without complaint. In the context of the book Santiago is presented with the greatest challenge of his life. It comes in the form of an eighteen-foot marlin and makes for a long, long battle that spans days. Near the edge of his exhaustion, Santiago’s hand is cut deeply and cramps up “as tight as the gripped claws of an eagle.” He washes the cut in the salt water and lets it dry and warm in the sun. But the hand refuses him and he is forced to work with his right hand alone, against the powerful fish that is two feet longer than his own skiff. Drained, Santiago “settles against the wood” and simply “takes his suffering as it comes. He is comfortable but suffering, although he does not admit the suffering at all.” Now reflect upon this in our lifes!!! The bitching we hear in the work place, in the gym….all the excuses. Let’s face facts here, our problems are minor, we live in the first world and are spoilt, we suffer for this, when I go traveling I prefer to get off the beaten track and meet the real people, in fact I make a point of it, with no airs or graces these people accept you more for the person you are, if you mix with people who don’t have much but appreciate life then it will (can) rub off on you. When I use to box I preferred the bouts in Miners Welfare clubs than the wine and dine events in fancy hotels which had these fat drunken shits dressed up and shouting for blood, so called pillars and businessmen who have never had to physically fight baying for blood and flashing there richness and trophy wives or “partners for the evening”. Observing such scum brings me to another lesson which is that a man does not boast. From the novel Manolin asks Santiago , “Who is the greatest manager, really, Luque or Mike Gonzalez?” “I think they are equal.” Answers the old man “And the best fisherman is you.” “No. I know others better.”….such a lovely exchange of words. The quality of a man is best seen through his actions, and developing humility is a key ingredient in letting our actions do the talking for us. Santiago is given plenty opportunity to boast during a conversation with his young friend, Manolin, but he does not. Boasting only briefly satisfies insecurity. It should leave no lasting impression on the crowd who hears.Some people will mistake mild manners, a soft voice and politeness as insecurities, people will underestimate your strengths but never fear this, life's real fighters don't need snarl, growl or pride themselfs strutting like peacocks, again referring to the fight game, a high held chin is a sure target for a knockout, keep your chin down and ride the punches out. My mum use to always tell me that an empty drum (barrow) always makes the most noise and how true, this is something I have witnessed may times, more consciously with the boxing and other work but also observed through many aspects in this life. These paper tigers making fists in photos, big fighting talk and their hard man strutting, how foolish they look, how easy they fall. If there is one lesson people should take away from this book, then its that a man’s legacy comes from maintaining his integrity. Legacy will endure far beyond any monetary gain. Every man has sharks that circle him; they gather when they smell the blood of real achievement. If you are a good person there is always people out there who wants to take advantage of it to their favour. Always be yourself, most people will judge you on how they want you to fit into their narrative, don’t be disheartened, never play your hand unless you are forced too, it’s always better to be underestimated than overestimated. Follow the examples of Hemmingway (apart from his brashness and heavy drinking that is and only throw fists in defence) seek out experiences, don’t do holidays, do adventures, cocktails on the beach, lying beside the pool on an all-inclusive and golf resorts can wait until your too old to tango and it’s when you return home you can rest with the mundane day to day working life but also find adventures in life too, learn to box, dance the salsa, hang out with people who know true happiness, read these books you have never touched on your book shelf but always keep your integrity, nothing at the expense of someone else, always be polite, wear your heart on your sleeve and smile, don’t growl…life is too short, ask Santiago, A man doesn’t quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment